Wednesday 29 January 2014

That was the week that was

Chaffinches were among the small greenfinch flock in the hedgerow nearby.
Not a good past week but hopefully over the worst for now at least. It all kicked off when last Tuesday I reacted badly after chemo treatment feeling light-headed and strangely breathless when getting up to go for my taxi back home. Thankfully the quick thinking Alaw Day Unit nurses had me straight down to A&E where I was tended to almost immediately and during my stay there til 5am I was well looked after and seen in steady progress by nurses, duty doctors and then medical consultant, I was really impressed. Diagnosis seemed to be my heart had reacted to the drugs and chemo and had gone in overdrive as well as irregular beat.
I was transferred to a ward for the rest of the morning before it was decided I would be sent down to the Coronary Care Unit to have my heart "bounced" back into rhythym. This entailed being put to sleep before the procedure was carried out but thankfully they only needed to do it once and a low level whereas I was told it could take several goes on some patients and at a higher level of shock. Again here the nursing staff were superb, in fact one nurse only lives the other side of the main road from me in the aptly named Trafford Park.
Then back home but then more troubles as I had started to suffer from constipation and the pressure was up against my bladder and preventing me from peeing. After phone calls with my chemo nurse I went the following day to my GP for products to relieve it and although things are better I still need a good clear out!!
(3 pairs of PJ bottoms washed on the line confirming this! mind you my record was 5 last time round when I reacted to penicillin).
On a lighter note Margaret had a go at shaving my head but after wondering why not much was coming off we realised my son had sent his beard clippers instead of head ones (!) so another job to do. Last time I didn't bother and my hair came off in lumps on the sleeping pillow at night which was a bit depressing so change of plan this time.
Obviously not had much time for garden birds, but did manage to watch a wren scurrying around plant pots near the back conservatory door bringing total to 21. Up to 5 chaffinches have joined the greenfinch flock.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your getting over the latest setback.Maybe just a bit cold for trip out yet just txt me when you feel ready I'll take a route with tall hedges just incase your caught short.
    all the best .John

    ReplyDelete